Weekend Times


The Times

Business News

Survivors of abuse in care know how redress should work – will the government finally listen?

  • Written by Stephen Winter, Associate Professor in Political Theory, University of Auckland, Waipapa Taumata Rau
Survivors of abuse in care know how redress should work – will the government finally listen?

When Prime Minister Christopher Luxon stood in Parliament last week to apologise to survivors of abuse in care[1], his words were among many fine speeches by government officials and survivors that day.

But to understand what is really happening, we now need to set those words alongside what the government has – and has not – been doing.

The apology arose from a recommendation in the Abuse in Care Royal Commission’s 2021 report on redress[2]. At the time, the government announced[3] it would launch a comprehensive redress system in mid-2023. That did not happen.

Then, in July this year, Luxon told the nation[4] to expect a substantial redress program before the end of 2024. That will not happen, and his apology on November 12 did not restate that commitment.

Survivors must lead

The apology was an opportunity for the government to demonstrate a commitment to action. It was also an opportunity for survivors to participate in redress.

Originally, representative survivors were to respond in the debating chamber to Luxon’s speech, but the government decided to do things differently. Survivors would instead speak in the Beehive before the apology.

As they could not respond directly to the apology itself, they spoke about their shared struggles, hopes and fears. Although their speaking times were cut from ten to five minutes, and Luxon was not in the room, they laid down a clear challenge.

Government action to date has been inadequate, they said. Proper redress must acknowledge past and ongoing injuries. And it must implement the transformative changes needed to prevent systemic abuse in care.

As survivor Keith Wiffin said[5], adequate redress requires “direct involvement and leadership from survivors”. Overall, there needs to be partnership between survivors and the Crown, and between Māori and tauiwi (non-Māori).

Survivors are owed substantial redress for their injuries. Moreover, only the Crown has the power and resources needed to stop future systemic abuse in care. But survivors say the consultation model is broken.

A seemingly perpetual consultation process – in which the government asks survivors about its proposals, and survivors wait for yet another Cabinet paper – not only creates delays, but is also disempowering.

As survivor Tu Chapman said[6], the state has “continued to divide us survivors by picking and choosing when you want our insights and when you want us involved”. The government, Chapman added, should “give us what we need, so we can contribute. We, the mōrehu [survivors], have the answers.”

Questions of redress

The prime minister has now said the government intends to have a new redress system in place in 2025. But we also need to look at what wasn’t said in the apology.

He did not commit to any of the royal commission’s central recommendations on redress[7]. Those included addressing survivors’ needs and claims holistically, the process being independent of offending institutions, embracing te ao Māori, including survivors of faith-based care, and being survivor-led.

Those are significant absences. The responsible minister, Erica Stanford, instead announced[8] the government is “working towards introducing a new streamlined redress system next year”. This is not something survivors have been specifically requesting.

Some have speculated the redevelopment of ACC’s Integrated Services for Sensitive Claims[9] might be an option the government is considering. This currently offers sexual assault survivors quicker access to an expanded range of social, economic, vocational, clinical and therapeutic services. But that is a long way from what the Royal Commission recommended.

Perpetrators and unmarked graves

Elsewhere, the apology itself offered few specific commitments. Luxon announced the government would seek to remove public memorials and other honours for those who are “proven perpetrators”.

What this means is unclear. Many abusers are dead, others are too old to be brought to trial. At present, there may be no mechanism to rescind honours posthumously[10], leaving alleged serial abusers such as Louise Miles[11] undisturbed.

Luxon also committed to investigating unmarked graves. The Royal Commission identified the potential for unmarked graves[12] at several large institutions and recommended an independent body investigate those sites.

How that will work is unknown, but it should include identifying who is buried, enable the return of remains to relatives where appropriate, and otherwise recognise these sites as cemeteries.

Prime Minister Christopher Luxon and Minister for the Crown Response to Abuse in Care, Erica Stanford. Getty Images

More than words

Finally, we need to watch what the government is doing at the same time as it responds to the abuse-in-care report.

As others have noted, the introduction of military-style boot camps for young offenders[13] risks a return to a system the royal commission condemned as a breeding ground for abuse. The government is also defunding community-based social services[14], risking another generation entering what has been called the “care-to-prison pipeline[15]”.

And we have seen the end of a digitisation program[16] designed to facilitate access to survivors’ care records that would underpin the work of a comprehensive redress program.

In his apology, Luxon announced that November 12 2025 will be a national remembrance day for survivors of abuse in care. Perhaps it should become an annual commemoration day, a perpetual reminder of the horrors endured by so many and an impetus for improvement.

When the date rolls around next year, we can expect more fine official sentiments. But without real action, Wiffin’s words[17] on the day of the apology will still hold true:

We’ve heard those words from the state before, and they are meaningless because they have not resulted in change or progress.

The author acknowledges the contribution of Filipo Katavake-McGrath to the writing of this article.

References

  1. ^ apologise to survivors of abuse in care (www.rnz.co.nz)
  2. ^ report on redress (www.abuseincare.org.nz)
  3. ^ announced (www.beehive.govt.nz)
  4. ^ Luxon told the nation (www.beehive.govt.nz)
  5. ^ Keith Wiffin said (vimeo.com)
  6. ^ Tu Chapman said (vimeo.com)
  7. ^ royal commission’s central recommendations on redress (www.abuseincare.org.nz)
  8. ^ announced (www.beehive.govt.nz)
  9. ^ Integrated Services for Sensitive Claims (www.acc.co.nz)
  10. ^ rescind honours posthumously (www.dpmc.govt.nz)
  11. ^ Louise Miles (www.abuseincare.org.nz)
  12. ^ potential for unmarked graves (www.nzherald.co.nz)
  13. ^ boot camps for young offenders (www.rnz.co.nz)
  14. ^ defunding community-based social services (www.sspa.org.nz)
  15. ^ care-to-prison pipeline (www.stuff.co.nz)
  16. ^ end of a digitisation program (www.ndf.org.nz)
  17. ^ Wiffin’s words (newsroom.co.nz)

Authors: Stephen Winter, Associate Professor in Political Theory, University of Auckland, Waipapa Taumata Rau

Read more https://theconversation.com/survivors-of-abuse-in-care-know-how-redress-should-work-will-the-government-finally-listen-243798

The Weekend Times Magazine

Paid parental leave needs an overhaul if governments want us to have ‘one for the country’

As Australia and New Zealand face the realities of slow growth, or even a decline in population, it’s time to ask if their governments are doing enough. Especially if they...

Northern New South Wales may be facing a schoolies invasion

Northern New South Wales may be facing a “schoolies invasion” and unit, apartment and townhouse owners need to prepare – or be left with a potentially large clean-up bill. ...

How Retractable Awnings Enhance Comfort, Outdoor Living, and Sun Protection

Outdoor areas are valuable parts of any home or commercial property, offering space for relaxation, dining, and entertainment. However, harsh sunlight, UV exposure, rain, and fluctuating temperatures can make outdoor...

The Importance of Commercial Fencing: Enhancing Security and Aesthetics

In the world of business, the first impression often sets the tone for what’s to come. When it comes to properties, one of the first things people notice is the...

Launching Weekly Campaigns with Zero Dev Involvement: The Headless Advantage

Marketing teams are forever tasked with more and more quickly. It wasn't long ago that launching a campaign weekly was a stretch goal and not a minimum viable timeframe. Today...

Stylish and Sustainable Comfort with Ceiling Fans Adelaide

For Adelaide homeowners, finding the right balance between comfort, style, and energy efficiency is always a priority. With hot, dry summers and mild winters, it’s important to have cooling solutions...

A Modern Approach to Superannuation: SMSF Setup Online

For Australians seeking greater control over their retirement savings, self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs) remain an attractive option. Today, advances in digital platforms have streamlined the process, making SMSF setup online faster...

Aussie Rules Football History

One of the things that make Australia truly unique is its own version of football. Called Australia rules football, this sport precedes other contemporary football games in generating an official...

Unit and construction market looks towards a new era of stability

The peak strata industry body in New South Wales representing the interests of all strata industry stakeholders says it is confident the era of construction and certifier cowboys will come...

hacklink hack forum hacklink film izle hacklink testpadişahbetgalabetNon GAMSTOP Casinosbeste online casinonon GamStop casinos UKNon GamStop Sitesjojobetonline casinos australiaonline casinosonline casino australiacasinos not on GamStopjojobetcasibomjojobetjojobetzlybraryjojobetcasibomtest