Google AI

Weekend Times


The Times

Business News

eSafety commissioner drops court effort to force Elon Musk to put international ban on stabbing video

  • Written by: Michelle Grattan, Professorial Fellow, University of Canberra

The eSafety Commissioner has abandoned the legal case to try to force X – formerly Twitter – to remove footage of the April stabbing attack on a Sydney bishop from the platform worldwide.

This follows a federal court ruling in May rejecting eSafety’s argument for a ban globally. The judge ruled such a ban would not be a “reasonable” step because it would likely “be ignored or disparaged in other countries”, and took issue with the attempt to regulate the global internet. eSafety had argued for a continuation of an earlier injunction in the case.

Elon Musk’s X blocked the video for Australian audiences as a result of the commissioner’s order but refused to impose a wider ban.

Musk has challenged the validity of the commissioner’s order in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

In a statement on Wednesday the commissioner, Julie Inman Grant, said she had decided to discontinue the federal court proceedings and instead welcomed the opportunity for an independent review by the Administrative Appeal Tribunal of her decision to issue a removal notice.

“Our sole goal and focus in issuing our removal notice was to prevent this extremely violent footage from going viral, potentially inciting further violence and inflicting more harm on the Australian community. I stand by my investigators and the decisions eSafety made.

"Most Australians accept this kind of graphic material should not be on broadcast television, which begs an obvious question of why it should be allowed to be distributed freely and accessible online 24/7 to anyone, including children,” she said.

Inman Grant said a key concern for her had been “the ease by which children were able to access this extremely violent stabbing video on X.

"As the national online safety regulator, I expect responsible companies to be taking action in relation to this type of content.”

Her announcement came as News Corp Australasia Executive Chairman Michael Miller strongly attacked big tech companies and said they should made to pay “a social licence.”

“This social license would be a package of laws and requirements that Tech monopolies would need to meet if they want access to Australian consumers,” he said.

“Under this license, the Australian government would be able to make the platforms liable for all content that is amplified, curated, and controlled by their algorithms or recommender engines - no hiding behind Section 230 in Australia.

"The licence should require that each platform has an effective consumer complaints handling system, including call centres contactable by telephone with expert staff in Australia.”

Miller said the licence should also include a contribution to the money being spent on mental health problems and a requirement to honour the media bargaining code for compensating publishers and media companies for using their content.

He said penalties should include crime sanctions for companies and executives that agreed to the licence but then broke the rules.

They should also include “the power to ultimately block access to our country and our people if they refuse to play by our rules,” Miller told the National Press Club.

“Companies wanting to do business here also have to meet our standards and sign up to our rules, laws and expectations. But the global tech monopolies that have changed our lives and our nation choose not to meet those standards.

"They refuse to play by our rules. These Tech giants – especially social media networks such as Meta, TikTok and X – operate outside our legal system.

"We know the collective damage they cause – to our young and elderly, businesses, big and small, to our democracy, and to our economy.

"How long will Australia allow them to operate as a protected species? It’s been long enough.”

Authors: Michelle Grattan, Professorial Fellow, University of Canberra

Read more https://theconversation.com/esafety-commissioner-drops-court-effort-to-force-elon-musk-to-put-international-ban-on-stabbing-video-231701

The Weekend Times Magazine

Planting The Seed To Health Living Top tips on planting for wellbeing

With the family home full time and a need to keep everyone busy, it is the ideal time to plant a seed to a healthier lifestyle. Tuscan Path Product Manager...

Brisbane Compensation Lawyers for Work Injury Damages

Suffering a work-related injury can turn your life upside down. The physical pain, emotional stress, and financial uncertainty can feel overwhelming. If you’re in Brisbane and facing this situation, finding...

What Happens During a Rental Property Inspection?

The rental property inspection is one main factor that sometimes leaves tenants wondering a lot of things. Though it might occasionally feel like a scary procedure, it is a lot...

Laser Skin Clinic Kew: Advanced Treatments for Radiant, Healthy Skin

With advancements in modern cosmetic treatments, people no longer need to rely solely on skincare products to achieve visible results. Professional clinics offering laser technology have become trusted destinations for...

Kmart at home: Why Australians keep coming back for stylish living at everyday prices

There was a time when discount department stores were often associated with buying the basics. A kettle, a mop or a few household necessities would do the job, but style...

A Modern Approach to Superannuation: SMSF Setup Online

For Australians seeking greater control over their retirement savings, self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs) remain an attractive option. Today, advances in digital platforms have streamlined the process, making SMSF setup online faster...

Vacancies increase sharply in outer Sydney, as inner-city suburbs ease

The REINSW Vacancy Rate Survey results for July 2020 show that COVID-19 continues to impact the residential rental market. Vacancies in Sydney overall increased for the fifth successive month and now...

The best Nike shoes you can buy right now

You certainly have a few pairs of Nike sneakers around the house, but you may not be aware that the brand famous for its Swoosh was not always known as...

The official ANZ launch of EPOS

Sydney - Following a panel discussion with Australian businessman Mark Bouris and panellists Alyce Tran, Scott Bidmead and Jahan Sheikh from Microsoft EPOS was launched. Attendees experienced...